| Proto-Western-Ulitan |
|Period||ca. 7000BK - 4000BK(?)|
|Spoken in||Northeast Amutet|
|Basic word order||SOV|
|Alignment||Ergative-Absolutive(agreements follow the nominative-accusative pattern)|
Proto-Eastern-Ulitan was an unwritten language, its forms are reconstructed rather than attested.
due to the extensive contact with the ǂaa Uteq languages, many of its daughter languages have clicks, but it seems that Proto-Eastern Ulitan didn't have clicks, as most words containing clicks in most Ulitan languages cannot be traced back to a common ancestor in Proto-Eastern Ulitan.
|plosives||*p *b||*t *t' *d||*tʃ *tʃ' *dʒ||*k *k' *g||*q *q'|
- It is possible that */x/ had an allophone [χ]
- */ŋ/ was restricted to syllable codas.
/ŋ/ is transcripted as <ng>, /ʃ/ is transcripted as <sh>, /j/ is transcripted as <y>, /x/ is transcripted as <h>
There were cases and numbers in nouns:
- Dual: *-ta
- Plural: *-i/*-ri
- genitive: *-ni/*-n
- dative-locative: *-me/*-m
- ablative: *-ko/*-k
- ergative-instrumental: *-wo/*-o
- comitative: *-be/*-b
- benefactive: *-so/*-s
Number suffixes precede case suffixes.
- present: *-i
- past: *-a
- 1st sg: *-wa
- 2nd sg: *-za
- 3rd sg: *-Ø/-ya(-ya is for animates; -Ø for inanimates)
- 1st du: *-kata/-kta
- 2nd du: *-zata/-sta
- 3rd du: *-ta
- 1st pl: *-ki
- 2nd pl: *-zi
- 3rd pl: *-yi
- 1st sg: *ka-
- 2nd sg: *za-
- 3rd sg: *Ø-
- 1st du: *kata-
- 2nd du: *zata-
- 3rd du: *ta-
- 1st pl: *ki-
- 2nd pl: *zi-
- 3rd pl: *i-
- 1st sg: *ka
- 2nd sg: *za
- 1st du: *kata
- 2nd du: *zata
- 1st pl: *ki
- 2nd pl: *zi
- this: ke
- that: a
- here: mu
- there: ya
- one: *mo-so/mo-
- two: *ta-so/ta-
- three: *ale-so
- zi torme aki - zi tor-me ak-i - the sun shines on the sky.
- a naho tek zigiya - a nah-o tek zig-i-ya - that person holds a stick.
- a naho tek zigiya, a tek panai - a nah-o tek zig-i-ya, a tek pana-i - that person holds a stick, (and) that stick is broken.
- gash pash-be kuyi - gash pash-be ku-i - the child goes with the father.
- peraho a nerish peraʁa. - perah-o a nerish peraʁ-a. - that forest was burnt in the fire/someone burnt that forest with fire.
- a naho zigiya tek panayi. - a nah-o zig-i-ya tek pana-i. - the stick that person holds is broken.
- ke ti nab-i - this meat is salty.
- kan penah heqaziga? - ka-n penah heq-a-zi-ga? - did you see my friend?
- sukta tamezasayi - suk-ta ta-mezas-a-yi - they killed two huks.